Pages

*My Crows* *My Art* *My Way*

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Since it's another cloudy day outside, I thought I would show you the suet feeder I made.
Many of you didn't understand what I was talking about. Suet, is animal fat. Very good for the birds in the winter time. There are many recipes on the internet. You can buy suet, but I just use bacon fat. They say not to use bacon fat a lot. Maybe once or twice a year and that's what I do.

I get an empty plastic container, that I won't be using again (make sure it's clean). After I have finished cooking the bacon, I put a little in the container, then I place some sunflower seeds in. Then I put some more fat, and some peanuts in. Then another layer of fat and some more sunflower seeds. Keep going until the container is filled. Place some string in the middle and place in the freezer.

When it's frozen and it's cold outside, take it out and get some scissors. Start to cut at one edge.
At this time, just wiggle the scissors in and cut a little bit of the plastic. Watch your fingers because the cut edges will be sharp. You don't have to cut too much of the plastic off. Just a small section. Then place the container in your hand, gentle pull on the rope and it will come right out with very little damage.
Time to put it outside.
Have a great day!
Big Hugs!

15 comments:

  1. How clever - and to see the birds is really some of the most beautiful I know!!! I bet they will have a party in your tree with such a good treat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your diy is the simplest and most clear. I wanted to know the best way to make these and now I do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an informative post Stacy. I buy suet from various stores and the birds seem to like the ones with peanut butter the best. I keep looking for our winter birds. There are so few right now and I think it's because it was such warm fall.

    Thanks for sharing this Stacy. I will try some homemade ones some time.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suet is, I believe, beef fat. Must be better for birds over the long run than pork fat from bacon, I guess. But poor little birds need a high fat content in winter to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I had no idea fat was good for them! And I was worried about all the birds eating french fries off the outdoor tables at McDonalds. I thought they were just catching our bad eating habits,lol! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, now I get it. It seems simple enough.. It looks beautiful. Not at all what I thought. I bet the birdies are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea for keeping the birds well fed and healthy. They must love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you make your own suet feeder rather than buying one. Have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't clear what it was when you first blogged about it, so I googgled it. But let me tell you, your instructions are way better than anything else I saw.

    Lucky birds, to have a Stacy who loves and feeds them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicest looking suet cake ever--good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic, dear Stacy and I love your feeder, too!
    You have such a dear and sweet soul for your people friends and your feathered friends also~

    Hugs and Lots of Love
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful! I am going to make these for my ever-growing group of sparrows, starlings and crows who come every morning, right on time, for their morning treats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOPS!!! I forgot to tell you that I finished painting Santa into a wizard. I posted him on my art blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very cool! I am sure the birds are happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how sweet you are to make this for the birds! They must love you so dear Stacy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'm very grateful! Your words are very special to me! Big Hugs!