Pages

*My Crows* *My Art* *My Way*

Friday, February 3, 2012

Thanks Grandpa ;o)

I didn't know my grandpa, my mom's dad, before he past on, for too long. Roughly 6 years and 3 of those years he couldn't talk,(he tried) and on his left side, his arm and leg, kind of dragged, after the stroke he had, but I tell you, nothing kept him down.
The reason being, all of us, even mom, didn't know him for too long, was because mom was a "war" baby. She was I think 3 years old, when her father went to war. Her mother decided she wasn't going to wait for him, so she left on the train, and didn't take the kids. They were left in the cold, in the train station, where the children's aid came and took them away. When my mom's dad came back, he didn't know what had happened. (I always told my mom, she should write a story about her life!)
Then one day, it was my mom's 40th birthday, there was a knock on the door. This sweet older man was standing there, saying, hi, I am your father! I have been looking for you all these years! There was such emotion! You can understand!
Grandpa moved in and soon we learned how much he loved wood and loved making things out of wood. Mom had a shed made for him outside. He would be in there from morning to night, making things. Mom would have to call him inside to eat! I don't know if he knew he wasn't going to be with us for long, or if he was trying to make up for lost time? But, I couldn't believe the things he was making. First he made all his grandchildren, 3 of us, hope chests. All hand carved and lined with cedar and all of ours were different! The pictures below are of my hope chest ;o)


















Next, he made us violins and guitars. He strung them all himself!



















Then he made us recipe boxes ;o) He even put little feet on them ;o)



















Well, you wouldn't believe what happened a few days ago. Do you remember, my mom's friend who is 89? Well, she phoned and said, Stacy, I am going through things and I have this box that I think you would really like. Would you like to come over and pick it up? I thought sure and went over ;o) Gwen takes out this "box". I almost started crying. But, didn't! My grandpa had made recipe boxes for other people too, to make some money and one of those people were Gwen. Gwen, bless her heart, had forgotten, it was from my grandpa. I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to embarrass her. I took the box and thanked her very much.
Before I drove away, I held the recipe box and thanked my grandpa for bringing it home ;o) I knew he had a hand in this ;o) Below is a picture of the recipe box ;o)








Now, you are wondering, what do I do with my recipe boxes? Well, I actually use them to put some of my aceo collection in ;o) The inside is a little too long, so I wrapped boxes to keep them in place, but otherwise, they are perfect! I love using them, because it's like having a little treasure box. Thanks grandpa ;o)








Love you grandpa! This picture was taken after his stroke. Doesn't he have a beautiful smile ;o)









Have a great weekend everyone ;o)Thanks for letting me share my grandpa with you ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

31 comments:

  1. oh Stacy, what a beautiful post, you amde me cry, happy tears, I think your mum should write a book if only for your family, but I would say its a best seller.
    How talented your grampa was, my goodness,, the guitars and violins are amazing, I love the maple leaves he put on the chests and the recipe box, what an amazing thing to have this returned to your family,, we should take anything for ganted on this planet, miracles are happening everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops of course I meant SHOULDN"T my tears are making it hard to type,,but we should'nt should we, there is more going on in this big world than we will ever comprehend or understand and most of it we have no control over, this story melted my heart, now I'll go blow my nose,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Stacy, What an emotional story.. What wonderful keepsakes you have. He did an amazing job and such talent. Yes, always tears...Thats what makes it a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful share. How very proud and happy you must be to have another of his special creations to use and remember him. You are such a blessed soul to have known him and love him.....and he you. I think your Mom should write her story. It would be a wonderful present for you kids and the world at large.
    XOXO Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, to think of the years passing and him looking for your Mom; it must have been a burden on him all the worry. Thank goodness he found her and his grandchildren. You just can't fathom why people do cruel things, especially to people they know.

    Your grandpa's legacy passed to you, both artistic, and the violin is beautiful, too. TYVM for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL story!! What a wonderful and talented man your grandpa was!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing story, filled with so much hope and love. And the gifts of love he made for all of you are amazing ... it is just wonderful that he found your Mom and you and the rest of his family. I'll bet he considers that the best day of his life!

    Take care dear friend, thank you so much for sharing this precious memory,
    BIG HUGS!
    Karen Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely story, Stacy, how special. It is super that you have another box of your Grandpa's. What a talented man, obviously runs in the family! thanks for sharing this beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a story!! I love listening to and reading about stories. I cannot remember none of my grandpas, because they died when I was 2. But I always love listening to my dad's stories of the old times.
    Your boxes are amazing. And what a great idea to use them for your ACEOs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacy this is a touching story, I think your Grandpa would be so proud that you treasure the things he made out of both wood and enormous love for his family & their friends. I can not imagine a mother leaving her little ones at the station, nor of a father who came back & had to search all those years to find his children, that is heartbreaking, yet look at his beautiful face, so full of love & happiness. This is a beautiful & personal post & so pleased you showed us how your grandpa still lives on through his work & the wonderful stories you share of him. Hugs to you & your mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Stacy, at varying times your post made me cry, gave me the chills & made me smile. What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing this happy memory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I love this story .. Stacy, I do believe that your Grandpa is looking over you and arranged for you to get that box so you would know. Your mom's life story and her Dad's would make a wonderful movie don't you think? Yes, you Grandpa has a beautiful, fantastical smile!

    Love and Happiness to ALL !

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderfully heart-warming story, Stacy! Your grandpa definately had a hand in what happened with the recipe boxes ~ LOL!

    BTW, could you please confirm your address for me through my personal e-mail (Ladycaer1964@yahoo.com)so that I can mail you your Witch Cats Prize? I also sent something out to you on Monday so I hope the address was the same as last December?

    Hugs to you,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stacy..such a beautiful story..so heartwarming!! such a special man your grandfather was..and so talented. thank you for sharing my friend!!And yes..HE HAS A BEAUTIFUL SMILE!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Stacy, this made me cry. Now don't get upset-they were happy tears. What a story indeed. Your grandfather seems to be a good man and a talented one, too. What a legacy he has left. His woodwork is just amazing. That is such a lovely smile on his face. Thank you for sharing him with us. I am glad that you got to know him, for a little while. How wonderful that you have a little bit of him to keep with you always. Have a wonderful weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stacy, thanks for sharing the story of your Grandpa and all the wonderful things he made! It's great he was able to find your Mom after all those years and so nice to have his creations to cherish.
    xoxo lee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Stacy, what an incredible story! You are lucky to have known your grandpa even for a little while, I looked at that photo of him, and I see a beautiful kind soul. So glad you have some heirlooms to cherish, to remind you of his love. Bless him for coming to find your mom after all those years. What a story she's got, she really should write it down somewhere, even if it is for her children to remember.

    xoxo
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  18. That story is absolutely amazing, honestly. So sad but sweet too. My grandpa made things for us grandkids from wood too. I still have his favourite fiddle, which he left to me when he passed. You and I both know how amazing and important these older people in our lives are, and how much they mean to us. I'm happy to see you have so many wonderful things made by him to cherish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Stacy, what a story. What a special man, so talented, his creations were just beautiful! How cool that one of his boxes found it's way back to you. They make great ACEO holders.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Stacy - what a story. Both sad and so heart warming. No wonder you are so talented - it runs in the family. And I´m happy to know that you take care of those treasures. Thank you for sharing this - what a lovely story!!! And thank you for entering my giveaway - I can see you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a wonderful post Stacy! I even had to show this to Jeff, he totally appreciated the craftsmanship since he is a carpenter!!!!What a sweet person your Grandpa was and yes, oh, yes, I bet he had a hand in getting you that recipe box!!! Its the perfect home for your aceo collection!Big Hugs,Deb

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a truly beautiful and heartfelt life story. You're right, your mom should write her story. It is amazing. What a tremendous blessing that you and your mom had those few years to get to know your grandpa. Love his woodwork, it is very beautiful. Such a blessing!! :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great day to visit your blog and what a wonderful heartwarming story. I loved every minute of it!! Your mom should write her life story!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello kindred..what a magical story..full of love and beauty and inspiration..i LOVED every word and every photo...his creations are gorgeous and charming and so beautiful..enjOy!! Your art cards look fab in there!! Your grandpa is a beautiful soul..blessings to you and him!
    Hugs
    Victoria
    PS; the instruments he made especially touch my heart! wowness!!very special!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Everyone ;o) I want to thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for your special comments on my grandpa ;o) I am smiling ear to ear and I know he is too! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful story Stacy!! Incredible! I love the recipe boxes, especially when they are filled with your ACEOs :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hugs Joumana ;o) Thanks so much my friend ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh gosh, that is SO incredibly cool. How special and sweet. awww :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a great story...I can't believe your Grandpa made violins and guitars...totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Stacy, what a beautiful post. Your mother is such a warrior to have become such a wonderful lady and mother after that unfortunate start. And oh my goodness, your grandfather returning after all those years is so amazing. His work is absolutely gorgeous! What a craftsman. Yes, his smile is so very beautiful, my sweet friend. Thank you for sharing this incredible journey. Hugs, Mina

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mina, Deborah and Sophia, big hugs ;o) I know grandpa is smiling ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'm very grateful! Your words are very special to me! Big Hugs!